Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Education Blog 2

http://davidwarlick.com/2cents/2007/09/12/shhh-im-googling-my- (URL)
"Shhh! I'm Googling my Facts" is an article by David Warlick from 2 Cents Worth. This article summarizes how people in general take for granite that the sources they find when researching always tell the right facts. Vicky Davis says that people tend to do this using google all the time. She stated an example that her 7th grade son was researching the 9/11 attacks using google. When he typed in the facts, a source said that someone had bombed the buildings. As a result, he began believing this until she straitened him out.
I'm sure this kid is not alone with his facts. Who knows what the world thinks happened on the 9/11 attacks. Actually, who knows what the world thinks with anything that happens. I bet people have all different theories and facts on events that happen around the world just from different sources. Who are people to trust if everyone has different facts?
This is so true not only with the entire world, but for myself too. I can relate to this kids problems also. I've composed projects where my information was not 100% correct and had to research over again. In a way, this is not only my fault but the sources as well. This goes along with what Vicky Davis said about how false information is our fault as a society for posting it. I guess my point is that I'm not the only one who can encounter artificial information, the entire world is at risk.
However, I believe there are strategies that everyone can use to tell if sources are correct. People can use multiple sources to compare. Also, they could use educated guesses or critical thinking to try and work out how believable or possible something is. The article posted that if we do these things, they will not only help us solve our problems, but become a habit of good use.

No comments: